Since tomorrow is Halloween I thought it would be fun to give you some facts about Halloween.
- Celebrates the Christian holiday of All Hallows Eve which is followed by All Saints Day (November 1)
- Jack-O-Lanterns were traditionally made from turnips, but turnips weren't cheap so Americans used pumpkins
- The Jack-O-Lantern tradition comes from a Celtic tale. Jack tricked the Devil into paying for this drink, so the Devil gave Jack a hellish ember. But crafty Jack place the ember safely into a turnip, which he carved and carried with him so as to scare away any future hellish encounters.
- The tradition of trick or treating is a short step from the medieval practice of souling. In which beggars went door to door on October 31st to pray for souls in return for food. (I guess candy is a sort of food)
- A 1951 Peanuts comic strip can be credited with the popular spread of trick or treating as we know it today
- Its not just an American holiday, the French village of Limoges attracted nearly 50,000 partiers last year
- The most important thing to remember is to be safe, the biggest danger on Halloween is alcohol poisoning